8/26/2004

First Post

I was browsing down a list of blogs tonight, and it occurred to me that I might want to start one myself. So here I am. I intend this to be a place where I can comment about politics, new trends, morality, and anything else that comes up. Thus endeth the introduction. Excelsior!!

It seems that Muqtada As-Sadr is having to finally move out of the Imam Ali mosque. He's been saying that he would for at least two weeks now, but he's running out of options now that Ayatollah Sistani finally got out of the hospital. It's hard to claim that you represent all of Shiadom when the real thing is knocking on the door with a mob of thousands of people. It will be interesting to see if Sadr manages to stall for much longer. He definitely doesn't want to stand down, though how he thinks he can overthrow the government is beyond me. He had his chance in April and blew it; taking over the mosque was a strategy born of desperation. If he doesn't face up to reality, he will remain very dangerous. Too bad that the government is giving him a pass on this one; Sadr needs to be in prison or dead, because it's only a matter of time before he starts up with the government again.

Interesting how John McCain is coming out against the 527 groups, given that he pushed the legislation that created them in the first place. I'm not calling him a hypocrite; he probably never considered that this could happen. But I'll bet some of the corporate-types who supported the bill did... It just goes to show that you have to be careful when writing laws to make sure that they don't cause the opposite effect to what you wanted.

In fact, I think I'll stop to point out what will now become the First Law of Mastiffdom: Beware the Law of Unintended Consequenses, Particularly When You Use the Power of Government!

All that campaign finance "reform" accomplished was to shift the big money away from the DNC and RNC, who could at least be trusted to have some standards, and into a horde of 527's with no accountability, no transparency, and in many cases no class either. How lovely.

I think that will wrap it up for tonight.

No comments: